From UK to Ukraine

Last month, I found myself far away from the fast paced life of London and on a relaxed holiday in the amazing country of Ukraine. 

I started my holiday in the town of Lviv, the cultural capital of Ukraine. Lviv is well-known for its chocolate factories that have a large variety of chocolates in all shapes, sizes and flavours. Another tourist attraction is the beer theatre with live music to keep your feet tapping music while you enjoy a chilled glass of beer. There is also the coffee manufacture place, which is a delight for any coffee lover. The aromas of all the different coffees are just as intoxicating as the beer. The town is full of small eateries, cafes and small cozy places selling various types of warm cherry wines. The street is a well-known hangout spot for students and youngsters due to the affordable prices. Then there is the tall tower from the top of which you can see the entire city. Though getting up the tower can be a tedious process because of its narrow wooden staircase, once you reach the top,
the view definitely makes it worth the effort. Lviv is also surrounded by places serving traditional Ukrainian and Georgian cuisine and also has some amazing waffles to offer. The foodie in me couldn't resist trying the waffles. From there, I headed to this place that offered some amazing "Banosh". Banosh is a traditional Ukrainian dish made from corn that is cooked over slow flame and topped with fried pork meat and cheese from sheep’s milk. That was yummy and soul warming in the true sense. I followed that with the "Uzvar", the traditional compote obtained from the regional fruits. The flavour of it is something I will never forget. With that I wrapped my days in Lviv to go to the next small town in Ukraine called Mukachevo.

Mukachevo is city located in the valley surrounded by mountains. Hence, it is a delight for any nature lover. It is an ideal place to unwind and attain peace of mind that will last with you for years. It has a lot of spas, food places and places that have historical stories to tell. I went for an amazing massage session at one of the spas and I must say, they are amazing at what they do. Besides that, I also got the opportunity to ride a horse, which was an adventurous experience. The Palanok castle of Mukachevo is the talk of the city and is a must visit. It is located on former 68 metre high volcanic hill, every wall and room of the castle has a story of its own to tell. When you are at the castle, you can almost feel the presence of the royalty that lived here. On the last day in Mukachevo, I again hogged till I the point that I thought I would burst. From trying on some Jewish dishes, to smoked horse meat, to some amazing french desserts, the thought of which still makes me yearn for more now.

I am blessed to have family living in this wonderful country. They helped me explore the places well and learn about their rich culture including preparing some of their traditional dishes at home using all natural ingredients like the 'Borscht', the traditional beetroot broth soup with succulent meat in it. 

Ukrainians are blessed by lush forests and their cooking includes a lot of their local organic produce like fresh fruits and vegetables that are grown by the locals. You can also find pure honey in various varieties here. The numerous number of statues in Ukraine which are meant for making wishes are a proof to the fact that the people in Ukraine do believe in the saying that "wishes come true" because they definitely come true like the one that I made *wink wink* It can be difficult to explore the rural areas without knowing the local language there but people do speak English in the tourist destinations, so that's all good. All in all, Ukraine is definitely a must-see destination for holiday lovers. Whether you are a lover of architecture or historical places or simply for the love of food and nature, Ukraine is never going to disappoint you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, Je t'aime!

The Most Powerful Weapon of Man

Life is too short for long hair!